Tuesday 26 November 2013

For the love of the game! (21 November 2011)

Today was our hundredth (100) match as a “Karachi Falcons Cricket Club”. I was looking for my form for several matches, didn't score too many runs in last few months. I was working real hard mentally for last couple of matches and asking Allah's help and it kept coming for me.
Karachi Falcons

Today in our hundredth match we were chasing 150 in 22 overs and lost two quick wickets within 5 overs, and then I enter the ground as number four batsman. Faheem was standing on the other end. He played so well that I never felt any pressure whatsoever and I paced my innings as I liked. The most amazing thing I like today was my temperament and my strong desire to stay on the wicket and win this match for my team. I succeeded in doing that and I was out when we only needed 5 runs in 16 balls. I scored 52 runs in 42 balls.


I am really happy and thankful to Almighty Allah that he keep giving me moments of happiness even after all my stupidities and misbehaving. I am really happy for my team as well which is developing in a good fighting unit. I think we can play few more years if we keep the same spirit. It is a wonderful period which has entered in its fourth year. All of them are very friendly and spirited guys who love the game for its beauty and spirit.


Ghaus is a strong captain and he is a very good man too, which makes him popular and he has earned the respect of his team mates. He is a wonderful medium pacer and probably the only bowler in the team who knows the proper use of the seam and shine. He is also a good hitter but lack of intent makes it a weak link when it comes to batting.
Nomi is bit harsh at times but he is a very kind and loving by nature and he takes every game very seriously and passionately that is why I like him. He may not be the best when it comes to technique and applying himself but he gives his 100% every time he plays. At times he fear too much for his wicket that it pushes him in to a defensive shell, whenever he plays fearlessly he is a treat to watch specially with beautiful square cut and flick off his pads.
Amir bhai is with us for almost an year now but he is very agreeable and always suggestive, helpful and easy going man. He understands his game very well and plays accordingly, he is very good in early overs when it comes to clear the infield and he scores rapidly. He is a fine wicket keeper and I was very happy to handover the gloves to him and he proved very handy in that position. He has good knowledge of field positions and angles and he try to cut those angles specially assisting spinners to set their field.
Faheem has not played many matches with us but whenever he is around he is very good, I dislike his laid back attitude when it comes to fielding but overall he is a handy cricketer. He is very good and fearless opening batsman who score freely and help his team to achieve the good run rate.
Anwar bhai act as glue to our team. He is a vital part of our team since its beginning. A part from being cheerful, he is a very good left arm orthodox spin bowler and playing his role efficiently to restrict our opponents to meager totals.
Moiz bhai is a fine gentleman, his prime time may have passed but he still loves the game and tries to give whatever he has left in him.
Irshad is another guy whose laid back attitude in the field hurts me, but he is a very easy going man and a handy spinner and a very useful lower middle order batsman.
Arsalan is a complete package as a cricketer and star of our team, he is a very good medium pacer who knows his limitations and strengths when it comes to bowl medium pace and he is a wonderful striker of the ball; a real clean hitter and a wonderful fielder with the safest pairs of hands in the team.
Ayaz is a very talented and spirited guy. I really like his attitude in the field always working hard and diving here and there. But I think he has been not utilized by our captain properly. He is a very good spinner and a very talented batsman who really has a cool head on his shoulders which we really need in our middle order.
Raheel and Tauseef didn't play as much with us as they should have played but they are really handy. Raheel is a genuine quick bowler and a very talented batsman, but he is also not utilized properly by our captain but it also because of his availability.
Tauseef is normal medium pacer and below average batsman, but he has one of the best cricketing mind when it comes to leading. He is the best captain ever I've played with. He always plays to win and his “never say die” attitude is what I like most. He read everyone's talent and potential and uses it to its full. At times he is stubborn with his decisions but overall he has a very good cricketing brain. I compare him with Mike Brearley (England captaining late 70's and early 80's) who was well known for his tactics, strategies and his skills to handle his team brilliantly. Unfortunately he was not as good as a batsman but he was a genuine captain.
There are few more players who played with us like Muneeb, Rehan, Jawad, Danish, Abid, Safdar, Moiz and Ozair. Few of them played with their heart and souls but they were on and off with the team so there was a lack of association and relationship with the team. But they all are very talented and energetic cricketers.
We didn't gel as we should have as a team; I think we should meet each other often apart from cricket grounds so that we can develop a better understanding of each other and a better relationship with each other.
We all share the love of game. Game which makes us happy and gives our life some meaning, separate us from our hectic daily routines. All in all I've enjoyed my last four years of cricket. There was every moment! Moment of failures, moment of sorrows, moments of harshness and bitterness, anger and frustration. Then moments of love, care, happiness, joy, success and moments of winning. I love you guys and wish we all keep playing this beautiful game for the love of it.
(November 21, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment